Inspired by my newly minted daughter-in-law Laura, who’s vegetarian, I’ve begun exploring meatless recipes. I love hummus and found this recipe, which I modified just a bit. Break out the pitas and fresh veggies, but be forewarned … while healthy, this stuff is super addicting.
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic (I like garlic, so use 2)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- One 15 ounce can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- Drain the beans but save the juice
- Peel the garlic cloves. I cut the garlic cloves into just a couple of pieces and they puree just fine in the blender.
- In a blender, add the lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, beans, garlic, seasonings and 2 tablespoons of bean juice, in this order
- Blend on high until smooth
- Add additional bean juice to achieve desired consistency. I add about 2 tablespoons more.
The recipe actually asks for a food processor, but I don’t have one and my blender does the trick.
The finished product looked a little bland so I sprinkled some dried cilantro and smoked paprika on top. Until next time … Bon Appetit!